Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Giddiness Of Indecision

Sometimes the most memorable adventures arise from not knowing where to turn first. More often than not, this exciting quandary arises when travelling:

"Should we take this treasure-laden passageway in the souk or that other one?"

"Should we keep driving south to San Gimignano or scrap it and head for the Dolomites?"

"Should we be safe and order the chicken kebabs or live on the edge and brave the sheep intestines? After all, when in Istanbul..."

But on the home front, the thrills of equivocation can also loom large, especially when faced with a glossy stack of brand new, untouched, waiting-to-be-pored-over monthlies.
(Sunday lunch, The Kenmore Arms)

Piero and Luca were off doing something testosteroney, the house was quiet and I found myself craving a pulse-quickening dose of paper. I fixed myself my new favorite lunch (wok-sauteéd sugar snap peas with hoisin, grilled chicken burger topped with peanut satay sauce -- cooking time twelve minutes start to finish, including cleaning the pans), I fanned out the magazines and while I ate, deliberated with no inconsiderable gravitas over which one to open first. Each promised lush locales, stylish adventures and a rich reservoir of inspiration.

Would I plunder The World of Interiors and lose myself in some Austrian nobleman's castle retreat? Or leaf through Vogue or W and live vicariously through some indie designer's Corsican getaway? Or drool over Gourmet's Old Master-like spreads of cuisine as fine art?

There were no wrong answers because, just as in travelling, all paths lead to knowledge.

Who says domesticity doesn't still provide the occasional adrenaline rush of blood to the head?

14 comments:

Thomas Hogglestock said...

Is that Gourmet's last issue on your table? :(

So many good magazines have bitten the dust lately (HG, Dominio) yet the, forgive me if I offend anyone, hideous Architectural Digest surives. Sheesh.

Lisa Borgnes Giramonti said...

Thomas: Soooo agree. Although I keep hearing rumors that Paige Rense, AD's editor-in-chief, may be ousted for a new one who will bring a younger, more eclectic sensibility to the magazine. Fingers crossed...

Jane said...

I love freshly bought magazines too and I know this is pretty weird but I am not that keen on magazines in hairdressers etc which have been perused by others. I like to have my own clean ones. I agree about AD. As an Australian I am guessing you Americans would not want us to think it represents 'American style' (he he). In the relatively tiny market that is Australia I am constantly amazed at the proliferation of magazines which are available. And how do they survive. It is one thing to be US Vogue but here Aust Vogue has circulation of something like 30,000. Some facts to chew over!!

Unknown said...

Uhoh, I am so happy someone else feels that way about AD too. I gave up a few years ago, since I felt it too staged, uppercrust and always the same looking...
And:
Lisa, I am so glad to see that I am not alone with that delightful habit of eating and reading...
you lunch looks so delish!

pve design said...

Looks like a fine hand splayed on your table and a lovely meal.
pve

skirmishofwit said...

Oh, that lunch looks delish (as do the magazines!).

Anonymous said...

looks like we had the same type of day!!! PS....check out the gift sweet column in W!!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

"...now that we've devoured all the sheep's intestines, does anyone know a capable gastroenterologist in Istanbul?".....

Go for The English Home! It's the Christmas issue and it made me giddy with delight! I do agree with both you and Thomas about AD. No more up-lighting, please!

Mlle Paradis said...

Couldn't agree more re: AD. As for domesticity, I'm a genius at it as long as I remain on the sofa, magazine on my lap and feet UP. Funny how it works that way!

Angie Muresan said...

I always start with The World of Interiors, otherwise I find myself rushing through all the other ones to get to it! I, too, agree about the AD. I stopped buying it ages ago, as it bores me to tears!!

Design Cupcake said...

I cant get enough of all the English shelter mags- British Home and Gardens, House and Garden and Living Etc are my favs... With Domino and our own HG gone, they keep me satiated... AND UGH! The biggest snafu of the 2009 publishing world is that Conde Nast thought it would be perfectly acceptable to send all of us Domino subscribers AD instead. Really? I think I would have rather received Golf World. Jeesh. xx

Heather Taylor said...

beautiful and very cozy sentiments

A Super Dilettante said...

My dear, I was reading an article on this fabulous website, How To Spend It and I came across with an article called "Marriage made in Lebanon". It's about a collection of exuberant furniture. The word "exuberant" somehow makes me think of you!! I think when you see these furniture especially the one they quilted different colours on the sofa - it's absolute to die for.

Here is the link:

http://www.howtospendit.com/#/articles/317-tc

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin